HELP US FIGHT CARDINAL-HICKORY CREEK
Driftless Defenders needs on-going help to raise public awareness and we need to maintain pressure by constantly keeping the CHC issue in the public eye. You can help in the following ways:
1. DONATE TO NEWSPAPER AD CAMPAIGN
Thanks to your donations we were able to use Ken Stark’s cartoon to announce the court appeals in a half-page ad in the Sunday, January 19 Wisconsin State Journal. The ad will appear in the Isthmus on February 6 and the following week in The Dodgeville Chronicle and associated papers. If we raise $500 more we can run it in the Mount Horeb Mail and associated papers. If you are able to donate, any amount will help no matter how small.
Cartoon used by Driftless Defenders with permission of Ken Stark
Donate below via PayPal or
Send a check to:
c/o Lea Stroncek – Treasurer
5079 County Road Z
Spring Green, WI 53588
2. Contact Governor Evers regarding his upcoming appointment of a new commission to the Public Service Commission
Governor Tony Evers
PO Box 7863
Madison WI 53707
Talking Points for letter to Governor Evers
- The new appointee should be knowledgable about the changing energy scene and understand new developments such as alternatives, non-transmission, localized distribution, innovations in battery storage, etc.
- They should be someone who can lead us toward being carbon free by using innovative, localized ways to produce and supply renewable energy. Not someone who is rooted in the past and will resort to transporting energy long distances in an inefficient, outmoded, environmentally destructive, and expensive way.
- The new appointee should be sensitive to the environmental impact of projects on habitat, watersheds, and view sheds, and have an appreciation of the importance of people’s need to connect with nature, maintain their rural way of life, and support our tourism and agri-tourism industries.
- The new appointee should respect the involvement of the public and understand that PSC decisions have a profound impact on people’s lives.
- The new appointee should not be an energy insider. The appointee should be independent of the utilities, whose focus is on earning money for their shareholders.
- To offset the bias of the present two commissioners with their past ties to the energy industry, the new appointee should be independent and receptive to the priorities of energy customers. Insider connections made the public suspicious of why the three commissioners unanimously rejected their own PSC staff’s recommendation to not approve Cardinal-Hickory Creek. It is time to restore the balance between utilities and energy ratepayers.
3. Write a Letter to the Editor
It’s important to keep our opposition in the public eye. We must continue to win in the “court of public opinion” as we enter the appeal process. You can write one letter to send to multiple papers, especially to papers in Madison where the PSC and legislators are located.
A list of papers with addresses for LTE’s is here: LettersToEditorAddresses122619
4. Contact legislators.
Download names and addresses LegislatorContactInfo123019